Let's be Safe! Sexual Abuse Safety Precautions for our Children

     I wanted to do a blog about safety precautions that women can take when going out on a date to guard themselves and help prevent being date raped. I feel like before I can do that I need to give you some statistics so you can be aware about how often this occurs.  The following statistics are about rape and sexual assaults are from RAINN to learn more you can go to www.rainn.org. 


44% of victims are under the age of 18
80% are under the age of 30


Every 2 minutes in the United States someone is sexually assaulted


Each year there are about 207,754 victims of sexual assault


54% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police
97% of rapists will never spend a day in jail


Approximately 2/3 of assaults are committed by someone known to the victim
38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance


On a positive note, Rape has decreased by 60% since 1993


Here are some statistics I found on date rape. All 3 of my attacks were date rape or what you would call acquaintance rape. 


77% of completed rapes are committed by non-strangers (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 1997)


A woman is 4 times more likely to be raped by an acquaintance than by a stranger (Illinois Coalition against Sexual Assault, 2002)


Less than 2% of acquaintance rape victims reported the assault whereas 21% of women raped by strangers reported the crime to the police (Illinois Coalition against Sexual Assault, 2002)


Every year, an estimated one woman in 8 in college is raped and in 85% of those assaults the women knew their attacker (Texas Woman's University, 2007)


31% of rape victims develop some form of Rape-Related Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (National Center for Victims of Crime & Crime Victims Research & Treatment Center, 1992)




This next part I am going to share ideas with you on some safety precautions that I have come up with. Parents please have talks with your young ones and go over these safety precautions with your kids, boys and girls!! 


Carry a whistle on your key chain! If you are being attacked make a lot of noise, yell FIRE and blow your whistle. People are more likely to respond when you yell Fire or blow a whistle. Often when people hear someone yell HELP they tend to shy away in fear of their own safety. 


Use the buddy system! When you are going out on a first date, tell a trusted friend where you are going. Be specific and even give them an address. If the date moves to another location text or call your friend and tell them where you are going, and text them when you get home. If you do this each time your friend will be alarmed when they don't hear from you. 


Try going out on double dates until you are comfortable enough to go out alone. 


Drive separately! Drive your own car and meet them at the destination.  The first few dates try to go to populated places. 


Carry your car keys in a way where you could defend yourself. It would be good to look for your keys before you leave and walk to your car also carry a flashlight on your key chain along with your whistle.  If you are busy fumbling around in your purse looking for your keys it leaves you vulnerable. 


Avoid drugs and alcohol on dates this impairs your judgment and decision making.


Don't leave your drinks unattended. If you do just ask the waiter or waitress for a fresh drink and if anything tastes funny send it back and get a fresh drink. My advice, NEVER leave your drinks unattended. 


If you live alone, lock doors, windows, and use your blinds. You never want people knowing that you live alone.


Take a self defense class so you know how to protect yourself. (I have not done this yet myself but it's on my list to do very soon. I will be sure to tell you all about it when I do.)


These are just a few suggestions that I came up with to protect yourself. Unfortunately people still get assaulted and nothing is guaranteed.  Parents and fellow readers it doesn't hurt to be prepared and use precautions to protect yourselves. Please have this conversation with your kids  and go out and get them a whistle to carry around with them.We can never be too safe!  My hope and prayer is that these numbers decrease in the above statistics.   If any of you have some suggestions please add a comment or email me at 4hopeandhealing@gmail.com and I will add your suggestions for you. 

Comments

  1. This is amazing. If this gets taken serious like it should and gets sent around. This will absolutely decrease the statistics. please anyone that reads this..know that you can help so many people by sending this to everyone you know. Thank you lisa to your heart and dedication to helping prevent sex abuse in this messed up world. I am humbled and greatful to see you pour your heart and soul to this cause. I love you my wonderful wife. Your a hero of mine. Xoxoxo muah!!!!
    Love your loving husband

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    You continue to show strength and perseverance and I admire you deeply. Thank you for your work by helping victims overcome their shame and bringing awareness to all of us who need this vital information. I will definitively share your newest post on my FB page. I will also add your link again to my blog . God Bless you honey! YOU ROCK! <3
    Love,
    Holly
    http://graceforusdevotional.blogspot.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/captivatedbyhim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Story, My Love Letter to My Broken 16 yr old Self

Survivor Story #1 "There's Always Hope", by Laura

RePost: My Story; My Love Letter to my 16yr Old Self